The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

Our Toledo, Ohio personal injury attorneys often see cases involving people who are injured by drivers who don’t have insurance. If the injured party does not have uninsured or underinsured coverage on their insurance policy, their medical bills may be paid out of their own pocket. Uninsured and underinsured coverage protects drivers from these types of situations.

Not only will auto insurance protect you in the event of a car accident, it is required by law in the State of Ohio that all licensed drivers carry some form of financial responsibility for their automobiles. The state minimum for auto insurance includes at least $12,500 of insurance coverage for each injured person in the event of a car accident, as well as a minimum of $7,500 in insurance coverage for damaged you may cause to another person’s vehicle or other property, according to the Ohio Department of Insurance. A driver must also carry at least $25,000 in coverage for all persons injured in an accident.

Our Toledo, Ohio personal injury attorneys frequently see cases where parties are seriously injured in a car accident, but the state minimum policy limits are not enough to cover the costs of their injuries. In some circumstances, a trip to the emergency room alone could eat the $12,500 state minimum reserved for someone suffering personal injury. Increasing the policy limits to a higher amount could only cost an extra few dollars a month, and it would protect your home and other assets that would be vulnerable after your insurance policy is tapped.

Other important insurance coverage includes medical payments coverage, collision coverage and comprehensive coverage. Medical payments coverage pays for medical expenses, regardless of who is at fault, up to a specified limit, in the event of a car accident. These payments can go toward the cost of health insurance co-pays or medical bills not covered by health insurance.

Collision coverage will pay for the damage to your vehicle in the event of a car accident, unless it involves an animal. The only cost you are responsible for is the deductible, which is determined when you set up your auto insurance policy.

It is also important to have comprehensive coverage. If your car is damaged as a result of something other than a car accident collision, for example from hail or a deer, comprehensive coverage will pay to have your vehicle repaired.

State minimum coverage may seem attractive in price, but in the event of a car accident, it will not cover all expenses. Our Toledo, Ohio personal injury attorneys encourage drivers to spend the extra few dollars a month in order to protect yourself and others on the road. You have a responsibility to yourself and to other drivers to always be prepared.

For more information on this subject, please refer to our section on Car and Motorcycle Accidents.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest